Pages

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

On Syria

I used to pay more attention to news from the Middle East than I do now. In college, I spent time in the West Bank and Morocco, studied Arabic, and got connected to human rights activism around Palestine. At that time, I kept pretty close tabs on news and analysis, but it's been awhile. Though I still keep up on what is going on in Palestine, I can't say I have been paying very close attention to Syria over the past two years.

It doesn't take much expertise, though, to know that Obama's proposed unilateral military strikes are a horrible idea. For one thing, I am trusting the expertise of others, who have convinced me that military action is ill-conceived and extremely dangerous. Some of the most helpful things I've read/heard:

Bassam Haddad On Democracy Now

Do's and Dont's For Progressives Discussing Syria

On Syria, A UN Vote Isn't Optional

Iraq Veterans Against the War Statement

Juan Cole: A US Attack on Syria Will Prolong the War

But most of all, I don't think any of us have to be experts to see a pattern emerging over the last decade plus of U.S. intervention. Syria can't be easily compared to Iraq, Afghanistan, or previous conflicts. However, those of us whose skepticism and war-weariness are heightened by our country's recent (and not-so-recent) past should pay attention to that intuition. We have learned things: No, the U.S. is not primarily motivated by humanitarian concerns. No, it will not be quick, easy and painless - not for our own country and especially not for the already war-torn country we plan to bomb. And no, our conventional weapons of mass destruction are not likely to deter others from using their WMDs, conventional or otherwise.

If - as seems likely - we do launch missiles in the coming days, I truly hope my go-to experts and I will be proven wrong about the geo-political consequences.

Regardless, though, the moral and human consequences will still stand. I don't always agree with my denomination's stance on things, but I think the United Methodist statement on war is worth sharing:
 "We believe war is incompatible with the teachings and example of Christ. We therefore reject war as an instrument of national foreign policy. We oppose unilateral first/preemptive strike actions and strategies on the part of any government. As disciples of Christ, we are called to love our enemies, seek justice, and serve as reconcilers of conflict. We insist that the first moral duty of all nations is to work together to resolve by peaceful means every dispute that arises between or among them. We advocate the extension and strengthening of international treaties and institutions that provide a framework within the rule of law for responding to aggression, terrorism, and genocide. We believe that human values must outweigh military claims as governments determine their priorities; that the militarization of society must be challenged and stopped; that the manufacture, sale, and deployment of armaments must be reduced and controlled; and that the production, possession, or use of nuclear weapons be condemned. Consequently, we endorse general and complete disarmament under strict and effective international control."
  

No comments:

Post a Comment